Rainy Afternoon Outing

So, after what feels like weeks of glorious sunshine, I woke this morning to thunder and copious amounts of rain, and you know what? It felt...

So, after what feels like weeks of glorious sunshine, I woke this morning to thunder and copious amounts of rain, and you know what? It felt fantastic. It's such an inherently British thing to secretly like the wet weather, and I'm guilty of it for sure. I had a perfectly lazy morning of drinking tea in front of the fire, while burning Diptique's Feu de Bois. This afternoon me and the BF decided to pop down to one of our favourite pubs, Hector's of Stockbridge, the perfect antidote to horrible weather. Even though I do enjoy the miserable weather, it feels like the perfect time to scoff some comfort food.

Hector's offers a pretty sizeable menu of well executed pub grub and a cosy atmosphere to boot. The board games and mountains of magazines they have out for your enjoyment is easily my favourite thing about it.




We normally go for the cheap set menu but we were feeling lavish, so we plumped for the Vegetarian sharer to start which we gobbled down too fast, so I didn't have a chance to photo it. Believe me, it looked... and tasted delicious.

The BF then went for the Southern Fried Chicken, Fries, Appleslaw and Dill Pickle dip. The only bit I tried was the fries and the dip, but my oh my... What a dip, but then again I have a soft spot for pickles (get your mind out of the gutter).


 I went for an old favourite of mine, Gloucestershire Old Spot Sausages with Mash and Red Wine Gravy and it was perfect as always.  It's such a hearty lunch and warms you from the inside out.


After our meals we were so full, we could barely move. We spent a good amount of time sipping on our drinks, a nice glass of Rioja for me and Ginger beer for the other half whilst mulling over some of the plentiful magazines, and making plans for the Edinburgh Fringe festival.


All in all it was a lovely afternoon, and probably something we do a little too often. We finally waddled home and I'm already looking forward to my next trip there.

Do you have any favourite places to eat in Edinburgh? Does anyone else secretly like it when it rains?

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Flickr Images